Tuesday, January 6, 2009

My Chicken Soup Flopped




Where do I start?

DH and I attempted to make chicken stock. Recipe 1.1 from Martha. I don't need to tell you that I need more than a little help with learning how to cook.

Once we completed our basic stock we tried to convert it to a chicken soup. DH didn't feel the chickens were cooked enough after their bath stock. We didn't have a meat thermometer. So we put them in the crockpot to cook on low while we slept overnight. We burned them (reference picture above). I thought you couldn't overcook things on low in the crockpot?


We ended up with very bland soup and burned 5 lbs of cornish hens.
How did this happen? Did accidentally forgetting the bay leaf at the store really destroy the recipe?? What happened to that improvisational thing you cooks always do with ease and panache? I threw in some Mrs. Dash Italian seasoning... it had bay leaves...
Why can't I master even the most basic chicken soup with Martha's patient guidance.

Needless to say I put that pumpkin soup on standby for this week...



No comments:

Post a Comment